The DSS software and the upgrade tool allow you to select a COM port number between 1 and 20. You might find that your computer assigned a higher COM port number than 20 to the USB to RS485 cable. In this case you can change the COM port number assignment manually in the device manager of your computer.
Steps to Find COM Port
- Ensure your Service Kit is plugged into a USB port
- Open the “Control Panel” of your computer
- Select “Hardware and Sound”
- Click on “Device Manager”.
- In the Device Manager click on “Ports (COM & LPT)“. Assigned COM ports become visible.
- You can find the assigned COM port number beside“USB Serial Port”. If the COM port is creater than COM 20, you will have to change the COM port shown in the steps below.
To Change COM Port
- Ensure you have completed the above steps (1-5)
- Right click on “USB Serial Port” and select “Properties” in the pop up menu.
- In the Properties window open the “Port Settings” tab and click the “Advanced” button.
- Open the drop down menu for “COM Port Number” and choose a COM number between 1 and 20 (that is not already being used). To confirm the new assignment click on “OK”.
- Confirm again by clicking on “OK” in the “Port Settings” tab.
You have now successfully changed the assigned COM port number and you are ready to use the DSS software or the upgrade tool.